In addition to regional convenings throughout the year, GARE hosts an Annual Membership Meeting for all jurisdictions. April 2018 marked the 3rd Annual Meeting and an opportunity for the network to engage at the national level with peers.
More than 300 people attended the Government Alliance on Racial Equity National Membership Meeting from April 9-11, 2018 in Chicago, IL. The event, entitled “Caring for a Growing Movement” included participants representing 66 local, regional, and state government jurisdictions participating in GARE from across the United States and Canada. This year’s Membership Meeting will be hosted by the City of Albuquerque with the theme “GAREing up for Impact,” where we look forward to welcoming over 100 member jurisdictions to 3 days of programming, networking, and inspiration.
GAREing up for Impact
2019 GARE Annual Membership Meeting
Tuesday, April 16 to Thursday, April 18, 2019
Albuquerque Convention Center | 401 2nd Street NW| Albuquerque NM
- Recognize the moment. A look at what the national political landscape means for the work and what the reality is in local communities.
- Build focus and strategic action. Identification of priorities for the network that directly serve our mission and values.
- Increase capacity, deepen expertise, and strengthen network services. Providing training, liaison, strategy sharing for the range of experience that members hold even as jurisdictions clarify how they want staff to improve their support throughout the year.
- Grow a diverse constituency of government leadership for collective impact. The beauty of a network that now has mature jurisdictions that hold tremendous knowledge and a new generation of communities exploring this work will be fully utilized.
- Provide moments for creativity, nurturing, support, and self-care. We must be our full selves to meet the ambitious charge we have set forth to be a public sector for the public good, which means building restoration into our practice.
Interested in Leading a Breakout Session?
The Membership meeting is by members for members. As such, this year’s breakout sessions will be shaped by content submitted by members, featuring the expertise of practitioners in over 100 jurisdictions. The Planning Committee is accepting completed proposals for Racial Equity Labs, Breakout Sessions, and Networking Sessions, as well as recommendations for potential speakers, facilitators, or topics of interest. The deadline to submit a proposal is January 21, 2019.
Types of Breakout Sessions
- Learning Lab: Lab sessions are 2 hours and 15 minute time blocks for skill-building and in-depth trainings led by members and GARE Staff.
- Breakout Session: Breakout sessions are 1 hour and 30 minutes long and provide an opportunity for members to lead panels, peer exchanges, or workshops.
- Networking Session: Open space will be provided during the conference to give members an opportunity to connect in more informal settings regarding their work. Networking proposals can include a particular topic and/or an offer to lead an open space.
- Poster Walk: Policies, practices, procedures, toolkits, or case studies can be presented in poster format and shared during gallery walk time and networking time slots. GARE will help coordinate printing needs.