The Office of Diversity & Equity is committed to leading efforts to build a more representative, equitable, and inclusive City of Sacramento.
MISSION: To move forward with urgency and purpose the creation, implementation, and maintenance of a more equitable and inclusive City of Sacramento by facilitating the integration of greater representation, fairness, belonging, and care into our policies, protocols, practices, and work places.
The overall impact is to work closely with all City departments and offices to ensure support for diversity, equity, and inclusion is integrated into decision making, planning and implementation, throughout all structures, services, policies, practices, and procedures. The framework that guides this work is the Global Diversity Inclusion Benchmark Model. The three priorities of the Diversity & Equity Manager for FY 2018-19 are:
PRIORITY #1 Complete the Local and Regional Government Alliance on Race & Equity (GARE) Cohort
As part of the Northern California cohort, from December 2018 through May 2019, twelve staff leaders from the City of Sacramento will learn how to apply GARE’s Racial Equity Toolkit that embeds results-based measures in decision making within local governments. This strategic direction will guide the 5-year Race & Gender Equity Action Plan (2019-2024).
PRIORITY #2 Develop a Race & Gender Equity Action Plan (2019-2024)
In direct collaboration with the Human Resources Department, develop a plan that:
- Identifies specific actions that integrate diversity and inclusion into policies, procedures, and practices
- Attracts and retains staff that is representative of the Sacramento community
- In addition, advance racial and gender equity through ongoing efforts that:
- Honor mutual respect and shared dignity in learning, critical reflection, innovation, curiosity and courageous conversations;
- Support all stakeholders in developing equity-minded interventions designed to close opportunity and equity gaps; and
- Eliminate organization and administrative barriers to equitable opportunity as much as possible
PRIORITY #3 Pilot an Equity & Inclusion Leadership Series
In direct collaboration with the Human Resources Department’s Organizational Development Team, this pilot series is aimed to empower all staff to normalize and operationalize the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion in all City work environments. The following learning outcomes include, but are not limited to:
- Advance intercultural competence and diversity intelligence of all staff;
- Apply the five approaches to diversity compliance: competence, dignity, organizational development, dignity, and social justice;
- Reduce unconscious bias, micro aggressions, stereotype threat, and exclusion to the greatest extent possible; and
- Create the conditions for more forthright, constructive relationships and interactions among staff of the City of Sacramento.
For inquiries or suggestions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.