In 2016, GARE partnered with Bay Area Health Inequities Initiatives (BAHII) on a series of webinars on racial equity and government.
In this webinar, GARE and BAHII discuss contracting for equity.
In this webinar, GARE and BAHII discuss workforce equity:
- Listen to the recording here.
- Download the PowerPoint here.
- Read GARE’s report on contracting for equity.
The goals for the webinar were to:
- Gain an understanding of what racial equity looks like in contracting & procurement and how contracting can be used to move racial equity goals forward.
- Review how realities for MWBE interact with standard contracting processes to create structural barriers and strategies to address these.
- Begin a discussion of the influence of Prop 209 and moving forward with racial equity goals within its restrictions.
- Share examples of contracting/ procurement policies, practices & strategies with a racial equity lens.
The webinar included outside experts who have led successful change efforts in their jurisdictions. Speakers included:
- Nancy Locke, Seattle , WA, who talked about implementing “race neutral” contracting equity within the state with restrictions similar to prop 209.
- Velma J Korbel, Minneapolis, MN, who highlighted several best practices including a Best Practices Roundtable and a Target Market Program.
- Wanda Kirkpatrick, St. Paul, MN, who shared about the Metropolitan Underutilized Business Program.