In 2016, GARE partnered with the Bay Area Health Inequities Initiatives (BAHII) on a series of webinars on racial equity and government.
In this webinar, GARE and BAHII discuss workforce equity:
The goals for the webinar were to:
- Gain an understanding of what racial equity looks like in HR and how HR can be used to move racial equity goals forward.
- Learn specific strategies for advancing workforce equity.
- Explore a model of an HR racial equity work plan.
- Share examples of workforce equity in specific HR programs including career pipeline programs, governmental hiring and employee incentive & training programs.
The webinar included outside experts who have led successful change efforts in their jurisdictions. Speakers included:
- Angie Nalezny, City of St. Paul, MN: who shared her jurisdiction’s racial equity work plan and highlighted how career pipelines can be avenues to further equity.
- Erin Stenson, City of Madison, WI,: who shared how her jurisdiction has increased hiring equity.
- Felecia Caldwell, City of Seattle, WA: who highlighted how they are using employee incentive to promote equity.
- F. Gale Baird, City of Portland, OR: who imparted how her jurisdiction has implemented racial equity training into their HR process.