Advancing Racial Equity: Putting Theory Into Action
The Government Alliance on Race and Equity, with support from the California Endowment, is launching two new cohorts of governmental jurisdictions, one in the Bay Area and the other in Southern California, that will be working to advance racial equity. The cohorts will begin in January of 2016.
Key components of the cohort will include:
- A curriculum that builds on the existing and growing field of governmental practices to advance racial equity. Technical assistance and academic research will be provided.
- Mentors from similarly situated jurisdictions that have experience with implementation of racial equity initiatives. Beyond mentoring, the cohort as a whole will be structured to support peer-to-peer strategizing and problem-solving.
- An “Advancing Racial Equity” speaker series that will provide the opportunity to learn and strategize across jurisdictions and with the community. The series will help to increase broad understanding of and commitment to the leverage potential of cross-sector, cross-jurisdiction collaboration.
As a result of participating in the cohort, each jurisdiction will have:
- Racial equity training curriculum
- Set of trained facilitators ready to implement the training with other employees
- Racial Equity Tool to be used in policy, practice, program and budget decisions
- Example policies and practices that help advance racial equity
- Racial Equity Action Plan
We are excited about the growing movement of government working to advance racial equity in California. When government makes a commitment to achieving racial equity, focuses on the power and influence of their own institutions, and works in partnership across sectors and with the community, we know racial equity is possible. We are building a national movement to transform government and advance racial equity. Thank you for your assistance in making that happen.
If you are with a city or county that is interested in participating, check out this fact sheet. If you have a team that wants to participate, determine a team lead who will be responsible for completing an on-line enrollment form no later than November 13. Due to limited capacity, teams should register as early as possible. Enrollment will close once capacity is reached.
For more information, please contact:
Julie Nelson, Director of GARE
Download: Fact Sheet GARE Learning Cohorts